Free Preventive Testing at No Cost to You!
Now’s the time to get the most out of your Health Insurance Plan!
Preventive care plays an important part in keeping you as healthy as possible, and more often than not are covered at 100 percent (at no out-of-pocket cost to you). The Affordable Care Act (ACA) includes preventive care at no out-of-pocket cost on most health plans. Medicare and many insurance plans pay for many preventive services to keep you healthy. Preventive services can find health problems early, when treatment works best, and can keep you from getting certain diseases. ACA’s free preventive services help to put the focus on wellness, early detection, and prevention, instead of treatments and cures.
What is Preventive Care? Preventive care includes immunizations, lab tests, screenings and other services intended to prevent illness or detect problems before you notice any symptoms. The right preventive care at the right time can help you stay well and could even save your life. In order to get your free annual wellness visit and additional preventive care tests, you have to make sure your doctor codes it correctly. You can generally ask your doctor and insurer what each service will be coded as. This allows you to find out if a service will be billed as preventive care or not.
How to Make Sure Preventive Services are Coded CorrectlyTo ensure a preventive service is covered your doctor will need to bill the insurance company with the correct preventative code. If you have a history of problems, then a specific related service may not be covered by wellness/preventative benefits. If you get a claim denied you still have options. You can have your doctor recode, you can appeal, or you can simply call the insurer with a copy of your health insurance policy on hand. If you are unsure of how something will be coded you can always check with your insurer and your doctor before hand you receive the treatment.
What Preventive Services are Covered Under the ACA?
Included in the 15 preventive services for adults are immunizations, screenings for depression, blood pressure, colorectal cancer, and high cholesterol. Diet and alcohol abuse counseling, though not screening services are also included as no out-of-pocket services.
Med Health Services provides the following preventive testing at our conveniently located outpatient centers:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm one-time screening for men of specified ages who have ever smoked;
- Cholesterol screening for adults of certain ages or at higher risk;
- Diabetes (Type 2) screening for adults with high blood pressure;
- HIV screening for everyone ages 15 to 65, and other ages at increased risk;
- Syphilis screening for all adults at higher risk;
- Chlamydia infection screening for all adults at higher risk;
- Gonorrhea infection screening for women at higher risk;
- Breast cancer genetic testing (BRCA) for women at higher risk;
- Hepatitis B and C screening for all adults at higher risk and for pregnant women at their first prenatal visit;
- Gestational Diabetes screening for women 24 to 28 weeks pregnant and those at high risk of developing gestational diabetes;
- Anemia screening on a routine basis for pregnant women or women who may become pregnant.